Below are the most common tasks you need to know if you are a new user of the system - follow the steps below to learn the basics and be up and running in no-time! We have more in depth guides available once you have covered the basics.
Please see individual topics below, or alternatively expand all.
Getting Started in Messenger v5
Getting Started in Messenger v5
Groupcall Messenger v5 is a web-based system, so you first need to ensure your computer is connected to the Internet.
Navigate to the following URL/address and enter your Messenger v5 username and password.
Your login credentials were either provided by Groupcall in the case of the Main Account Holder, or they would have been set-up by your School administrator. Please speak to that person before contacting support if you do not know your username.
To start sending messages, click either the main “Send Message” button on the welcome screen or choose “Send Message” from the header toolbar, near the top right of the screen.
Once you are in the 'Send Messages' area of Messenger v5, your contacts will be displayed on the left hand side of the screen under the “Groups” tab. The group structure is dynamic and what you see will depend on how your contacts have been synced from the MIS.
Recipients can be selected in any combination of the following methods;
- Click in to the search box and begin typing the name of an individual (forename or surname) or a group (such as year, house or any other MIS or saved group),
- You will see suggestions appear below the search box, simply click the one you need,
- When you have added all the groups or individuals you require and they are listed in the search box, simply click the 'Add to recipients list' button and/or;
- Click the arrow next to a Group field to expand the tree and select the group required and/or;
- Select a Contact or Group from within the address book.
Your contact selection can be further refined using Filters;
- Accessed by the blue hyperlink in the ‘Actions’ column, filters are used to refine the selection further. Filters are dynamic and will only display the options available in your database, or display a list of contacts from which you can select individuals.
- Any filters active will be displayed in the filters column.
- If you then wish to add more recipients from other groups you can do so by clicking on another group and again apply filters as you wish.
Once you have selected your distribution list, chosen the contact method, selected the message frequency and chosen the message formats, click on Create Message where you can now begin to create your message(s).
- Select Message Type from the 3 types of Messages available.
- Enter message text, taking note of SMS character limits where appropriate.
i - For each message format (SMS, Email, Voice, Letter) active formats will be identified by a bracketed number showing the number of available contacts for that message format. In the above example 13 SMS contacts, 79 voice contacts and 90 Email contacts will receive a message based on the selections made in the 'Message Recipients' screen as SMS, Voice and Email were all selected. If a format was not ticked, that tab would not show a number.
ii - SMS forms the priority option in Messenger and a copy of the SMS text will be applied before any other selected formats. If you wish to override this functionality, simply untick the 'content same as SMS' box and edit the text as required.
iii - You can also select from the message library and then edit accordingly or enter new text.
- If you have parents listed with English as a second language on your MIS, you have the option to tick the 'Translate Message' option to enable Multi Language sending of SMS and Email.
a - In order to check the translations generated, click on 'View/Modify Translations'.
b - Be sure to click on 'Reset Translations' if you make any changes to the message content.
- If you have chosen the eLetters functionality you may like to see a PDF preview of your letter complete with Letterhead Template - this can be accessed by selecting the green 'preview' button located to the right of the text entry box.
- The area will go red as a notification if you exceed 160 characters. This limit doesn’t apply to email.
- You will not be able to type more than 160 characters.
If you have ‘Email content same as SMS’ selected, then you need to un-tick this to edit the email message and allow more than 160 characters to be typed into the email message body.
Once you are happy with your message(s) select ‘Next’ to go to the...
“Preview & Send” Screen.
From here you can choose to send messages ‘now’ or schedule them for sending later in the day or even a date in the future! You can also send a preview to e.g. your own phone to see what the message will look like before you send it to your distribution list.
If you are using the eLetter functionality when you select 'send now' or 'schedule' your letter will be generated in a PDF format. Depending on the number of letters being generated this may take a few minutes but once complete you will be given a link to download your letters - this link will also be emailed to you so that you do not have to wait for it to be generated. Click on the pdf link and print your letters off as required.
You can now access the 'History' area of Messenger v5 to see the message status, including replies and delivery statuses as well as the resultant translations of any multi-language recipients if desired, by clicking the white 'Show Status of this Message' button.
Before messages are sent they are shown as a preview, although any personalisation selected as tokens will only show when the message is sent. A test can be sent to a specified number or email address.
To send a test message, enter details of a phone number and/or email address where you can receive the preview in the next few minutes. Click ‘Send Preview’. Once you are happy with the way the message appears you are ready to send your message(s). If you are not happy, click ‘Previous’ to return to the ‘Create Message’ screen to edit as needed, before returning to the ‘Preview & Send’ screen; repeat as appropriate.
Now you are ready to send your message(s) you have two options:
- Send your message(s) immediately or
- Pre-schedule your message(s) to be sent at a specified date and time.
Press ‘Send Now’ or ‘Schedule’ as appropriate.
Depending on your school’s preferred settings, an additional authorisation layer may be activated.
Sending a message without authorisation
If your user account does not have the authorisation to send a message, you can follow all the steps to compose your message, including recipient selection, but you will only be able to submit your message for authorisation.
A user who has the required authorisation level will get alerted to the fact there is a message needing to be approved when they log in to the system. If you are in a scenario where you require immediate authorisation, we recommend you speak to your school administrator or another user who has this level of permission as opposed to waiting for them to log in and see it.
Authorising a message for another user
If you are a user who has been asked to authorise a message for another person, click on the link below to see how to do this.
Select ‘Authorise Messages’ from the front screen or the header as appropriate.
You will then see a list of all pending messages requiring authorisation.
- The ‘i’ icon will show you in depth details about the message, including Message format breakdown and a list of recipients.
- The red ‘x’ icon allows you to deny authorisation. The message will be deleted.
- The green ‘tick’ icon allows you to authorise the message for delivery. Click this to send the ‘pending’ messages.
If you need any further assistance or get in to any difficulty, please contact your School Administrator. Alternatively, they can contact Groupcall Support on your behalf.