Messenger has a library of pre-configured templates.
Uses for this library include;
- Increased speed of message sending,
- by recalling a message that has previously been saved.
- To improve accuracy and deliver a consistent style of messages to recipients,
- by using a set of templates that have been composed and signed off by appropriate senior staff in school.
- To restrict certain users to only send pre-configured messages
- therefore preventing abuse of the system.
- See information on User Roles for more information.
Recalling Messages from the Library
When sending a message via one of the Wizards, you have the option of recalling a Message Template form the Message Library.
Simply choose a template by ticking it. If you do not see a particular template available it's possible that the message is not in the relevant category for the wizard in use. If this is an issue then an administrator who can use the Library Manager to Assign the Category to the correct Tile.
If you choose one of the templates you are not given the option to edit the message, however if you then realise you need to edit it, you can make uses of the 'Switch to Advanced Messaging' functionality available on the Options tab of the Summary Screen.
On the left of the screen you will see a list of ‘folders’. Each folder heading can be expanded by clicking the arrow next to it. You will then see a list of pre-saved messages.
Each message type has its own library - select Broadcast/Open/Closed as required from the dropdown box to access each one.
Clicking on any of the available messages will populate the message compose box with the saved text. You can then edit the text as you would any other message.
Please note, some of the functionality below may only be available to certain users depending on their user roles.
Default Message Library
Groupcall provide some message libraries for you. To update your library to include the latest messages, an administrator needs to go to Tools > Account Settings > press the “Copy Standard Message Library” button > press Ok in the confirmation pop-up.
This will ensure any messages that have been added or improved since your account was created are available to you. Please note however that any default messages that you have edited to personalise them to your school may get overwritten. We therefore suggest you first make a copy of your personalised messages in new folders. See the Edit Library information for help.
Message Library Manager
Accessed via Tools > Message Library, from this area you can add new saved messages or edit existing saved messages as well as control which Wizards have access to each set of messages. Only users that have the Admin user role and the Message Library role will be able to access this functionality - for more information on roles please see this page. Most users should be able to use messages saved in the library.
Groupcall provide some message libraries for you alongside any templates that may have been saved by yourself or a colleague. To update your library to include the latest messages, an administrator needs to go to Tools > Account Settings > press the “Copy Standard Message Library” button > press Ok in the confirmation pop-up. Once completed the updates will show in the library manager as with any messages you have created yourself.
As you can see from the above screenshot the Library Manager is organised into 'folders' or 'message categories' each containing individual messages grouped for convenience.
Assign Message Categories to Wizards
In order to optimise message sending when using Wizards you need to assign categories to display in relevant wizards. You could assign all categories to all wizards if you wish, but this may slow down your message sending experience and we therefore recommend you first organise your existing messages into categories and then assign only the relevant categories to each wizard.
For example, it's unlikely you would ever send an eCard to a group of absentees, and as the absence wizards are designed to be accessible quickly so as to get a timely alert to parents to instigate child protection measures you should optimise the categories as much as possible.
To assign a category;
- Click on the category itself.
- Check the boxes next to any tiles on which (groups of wizards) you want the messages in that category to appear.
- Groups all wizards that send attendance alerts such as "Unauthorised Absence/Late Today", "Unresolved Absences" and "Persistent Absence/Late".
- For the best message sending experience you should ensure only relevant categories are displayed.
- You can use the in-built 'Absent' category, or create one of your own such as "Absent - Green Abbey School".
- Allows you to send graphic cards and certificates to individuals or groups.
- Quick Message
- Groups wizards such as "Whole School Alert", "Email all Parents", "Group message", and "Individual message" together.
- Its likely several categories will be assigned to this wizard, such as school closure and more general messages.
- There may be other tile names displayed, depending on your school's individual configuration. More details available as required on request.
- Ensure you save your choices using the 'Save' button on the bottom right.
Next time you go into a wizard, all users will see the categories and their messages available to select along with an option to write a new message (if appropriate roles are assigned to that user).
Add a New Message - via Library Manager
To add your own messages to the Message Library using the Library manager.
Navigate to the Tools Menu and select 'Message Library';
- Click 'New Message' at the top right.
- Choose a Category from the dropdown list or type a new one.
- If you do add a new category, be sure to revisit the the steps to assign the new category to a set of wizards.
- Give your new message template a name.
- Click 'Save'.
Now simply follow the 'Edit' instructions below to enter the content of your new message template.
Add a New Message - from Wizards
When you are sending a message using any of the wizards in Messenger, you have the option of saving that message to the Message Library to recall in future. This is useful if you are sending a message but realise you are likely to need to use that message regularly in the future.
|From within a wizard, simply move the red slider to a green tick below the compose box.||When you select the option to save a message, you will get an additional screen that prompts you to give the saved message a name and associate it with a message category/type such as "Absent" or "General" etc.Please note, the message is only saved when you complete the wizard (i.e. send the message).
Only the message content is saved, not the list of recipients.
When you have saved a message in this manner it will be available in the Library Manager just like any other saved message, where you edit the message etc.
Add a New Message - from Advanced Messaging
When you are sending a message using the Advanced Messaging screens in Messenger, you have the option of saving that message to the Message Library to recall in future. This is useful if you are sending a message but realise you are likely to need to use that message regularly in the future. In this scenario only the message content is saved, not the list of recipients.
Once you have composed your message as normal, you will notice a ‘Save to Library’ button above the compose message box.
Click the 'Save to Library' button to save your message for future use.
- Either choose from the drop down list of Folders or type a new name to create a New Folder.
- Give the message a unique name.
- Click ‘Save’.
When you have saved a message in this manner it will be available in the Library Manager just like any other saved message, where you can edit the message etc.
Edit Existing Messages
If you would like to further personalise the messages that are built in to Messenger, then you can do so from here. You can also edit any message that may have been created for your school in the past.
Navigate to the Tools Menu > Library Manager;
- Select a message, you may have to 'expand' categories first in order to display the messages within that category.
- In the case of the in built messages, we recommend you first copy their content to a new message to prevent them being overwritten during library updates. To do this simply copy the text from existing messages and then paste it in to a new message as per the instructions above.
- Change the message as required simply by clicking in to the text area and making changes using your keyboard or a copy/paste method.
- Ensure you have included all message formats, such as SMS, Email, Voice and Letter.
- Certain formates allow you to upload attachments and apply formatting.
- Ensure you save your changes using the 'Save' button on the bottom right.
- Repeat for any other message templates as required.
Deleting message templates
To delete a template that is no longer required, simply right click the appropriate template and choose 'Delete'.
You will need the appropriate role in order to do this - if you do not see a 'Delete' option when you right click, please speak to your School Administrator.
To delete a folder, you will first need to delete any templates in that folder.
If you need any further assistance or get in to any difficulty, please contact your School Administrator. Alternatively, they can contact Groupcall Support on your behalf.