Using the App
The information in Emerge for Parents is not live; it is however updated regularly.
How regularly depends on the type of information being accessed;
- Attendance Data.
- Updated hourly.
- Student Names/Registration Group/House etc.
- Updated nightly
- Parent Contact information.
- Updated nightly.
Internet access is required on the device running the App for the information updates to be received.
There is some information in Emerge for Parents which is not correct – who do I contact to discuss this?
You need to speak to the school to which that information relates.
There is some information in Emerge for Parents which concerns me – who do I contact to discuss this?
You need to speak to the school to which that information relates.
Before you lose a device...
Emerge for Parents can be secured with a PIN code that is independent of any codes set on the device. We recommend you set one when you login to Emerge. This can be done by clicking the settings cog in the lower right corner of the Emerge for Parents App home screen and choosing 'Change Passcode Lock'.
Apple and Google both provide services that are designed to either help you find a lost device or remotely erase it should it be lost irretrievably. There are also third party solutions available. More information is available by searching the internet for "lost smartphone" etc.
- Apple's "find my iPhone" service is built in to every apple device that supports Emerge for Parents - you can find out about it here along with information on how to enable it and activate it should you lose your device.
- Google's "Android Device Manager" is available on the majority of devices that support Emerge for Parents - you can find out about it here along with information on how to enable it and activate it should you lose your device.
If a device has already been lost...
- You should change your Emerge for Parents password.
- For information on how to do that click here. The link above will take you straight to the login page where you can change your password.
- You should make use of any Apple or Android service with which you are registered that can locate or erase the data held on your device.
- If you cannot do the above and you are still concerned about the data on a lost device, you can speak to your school who can disable your account. This can take some time to become effective on the the lost device and so should only be used as a last resort. It also has the downside of requiring you to re-register for a new account once you find or replace the lost device.
Lesson Attendance is the taking of a register at the start of each lesson and recording who is in attendance for that period or lesson; e.g. English mid morning.
Session Attendance is the taking of a register once in the morning and once again in the afternoon to record which students were in school that morning or afternoon.
Not all schools take Lesson attendance all the time. They do take Session attendance however as this is a mandatory requirement for government reporting.
Only the 2 types of attendance recording give a true picture of a child's attendance at school, particularly the older a child gets. A student may be in the school building and have attended morning registration, but that does not necessarily mean they have found their way to the maths classroom!
It is likely that the school subscribing to Emerge for Parents want to track attendance patterns and enlist the help of parents not least advise them of any non-attending students, so there should be few occasions when there are gaps. These could be due to a cover teacher (for example when the main teacher is ill) not having access to the school registration system or any other factors to do with the administration of registers.
If you have ongoing concerns about regular gaps in the attendance data you are seeing you should talk to the school.
English is my second language, is it possible to change the language in the app to my native language?
Unfortunately not at present, however this is something we are working on. Ask your school if you need help with this.
Angielski to mój drugi język, czy to możliwe, aby zmienić język w aplikacji do mojego ojczystego języka?
Niestety nie w chwili obecnej, jest to jednak coś, co pracuje. Zwrócić się do szkoły, jeśli potrzebujesz pomocy z tym.
ਅੰਗਰੇਜ਼ੀ, ਮੇਰਾ ਦੂਜਾ ਭਾਸ਼ਾ ਹੈ ਇਸ ਨੂੰ ਮੇਰੇ ਮੂਲ ਭਾਸ਼ਾ ਨੂੰ ਅਨੁਪ੍ਰਯੋਗ ਵਿੱਚ ਭਾਸ਼ਾ ਨੂੰ ਤਬਦੀਲ ਕਰਨਾ ਸੰਭਵ ਹੈ?
ਬਦਕਿਸਮਤੀ ਨਾਲ ਮੌਜੂਦ 'ਤੇ, ਪਰ ਇਸ ਨੂੰ ਸਾਡੇ' ਤੇ ਕੰਮ ਕਰ ਰਹੇ ਹਨ ਕਿ ਕੁਝ ਹੈ ਨਹੀ. ਤੁਹਾਨੂੰ ਇਸ ਨਾਲ ਮਦਦ ਦੀ ਲੋੜ ਹੈ, ਜੇਕਰ ਤੁਹਾਡੇ ਸਕੂਲ ਨੂੰ ਪੁੱਛੋ.
ریزی، میری دوسری زبان ہے کہ یہ میری آ کے لئے اپلی کیشن میں زبان تبدیل کرنے کے لئے ممکن ہے؟
بدقسمتی سے اس وقت، تاہم ہم اس پر کام کر رہے ہیں کچھ نہیں ہے. تم اس کے ساتھ مدد کی ضرورت ہے تو آپ کے اسکول سے پوچھو.
Can I still use Emerge for Parents outside the UK? For example if my work sometimes takes me abroad or when I am on holiday.
Emerge for Parents relies on an active internet connection to get data from your school. Wherever you have access to the internet, you have access to the information in Emerge for Parents.
You should be aware however that any internet access that is not included in your mobile data allowance can be chargeable by your mobile provider. This includes roaming on networks outside the UK. You can usually find free WiFi in hotels and bars however.
I’d rather not use my mobile network to download data to Emerge, is it possible to set it to only sync when linked to a wifi connection?
Whilst Emerge for Parents uses very little data, depending on your device you may be able to restrict it's use to WiFI only.
This can be done from your device settings for an Apple device running iOS 7;
- Open the Settings App.
- Tap Cellular.
- Scroll down to the list of Apps.
- Turn the slider to off (grey) for Emerge for Parents.
- The App is now blocked from using your 3G/4G connection.
Other iOS versions may differ. There are many resources available online to assist you.
For Android devices you will need to install a third party app to allow you to achieve this. There are many resources available online to assist you with this.
- Not all schools take Lesson attendance all the time.
- Lesson Attendance is the taking of a register at the start of each lesson and recording who is in attendance for that period or lesson; e.g. English mid-morning. Session Attendance is the taking of a register once in the morning and once again in the afternoon to record which students were in school that morning or afternoon. They do take Session attendance however as this is a mandatory requirement for government reporting.
- Some schools may choose not to make assessment/behaviour/achievements visible to parents all the time.
- Your child may not have any recent assessment/behaviour/achievements records - Emerge for Parents only shows recent information so as to control the size of data and limit large amounts of information from becoming too large to store.
If in doubt, you should talk to your school.
- Only children in a school that subscribes to Emerge for Parents will show in your App. If you have children in a different school, they may not show.
- If all your children are in the same Emerge for Parents subscribed school then its possible that the school filing system does not have you linked as the parent of multiple children correctly. You will need to speak to the school.
- If you do not have legal Parental Responsibility for all your children then the school cannot show you any children for which you do not have PR.