From this section of the console you will manage the devices used with the Emerge for Schools App in your school.
Linking Devices with Users and Groups – the Device Identifier
In order to make Emerge as secure as possible, it is necessary to link users with devices. This ensures that users can only use Emerge with devices on which they have been authorised. This is known as 2-factor authentication – something you know (a username and password) and something you have (an authorised device). Every device has a unique identifier. The ID is unique to each device and therefore cannot be altered or ‘spoofed’ as a device name could be. The Emerge Server uses the device Device Identifier to link devices with Users and Groups by adding them to an ‘allowed’ list in the console. For more information on the security of Emerge, please see the Emerge Data Sharing Agreement.
Obtaining the Device Identifier
This process differs slightly between device and platform. Please see Obtaining the Device Identifier for detail on how to do this either as the Emerge Administrator or by directing end users to that page so that they can send the ID to you.
Adding the Device Identifier to the Console and Linking Users/Groups
- Ensure you are in the ‘Devices’ section of the Console.
- After obtaining the device ID, click the Add button located at the top right of the screen.
- Enter the ID
- Either type it in whilst looking at the device or copy and paste it from a suitable location such as email or spread sheet.
- Alternatively if you have previously tried to connect a device1, which is not currently showing on the devices list, it will appear on the drop down list, allowing you to add it straight into the console.
- Enter a device description (we recommend having a robust naming convention for this to aid in estate management).
- Assign the device to any Groups as relevant.
- Assign the device to ALL users that you wish to be able to utilise the device.
- Usually this will be 1 device per user, however if you are operating any ‘pool’ devices that may be shared by several staff you should add all relevant users here, individually or through the use of groups.
- Only those users associated with a device may use it. Even if they have the correct account details, they cannot use the device unless they are associated with it here.
When complete, click Save.
All successfully authorised devices will show in the list at the top of the devices section of the console – if the device you have just added does not appear, it is possible you did not click save; repeat steps 2 – 7 before contacting support. In certain cases a simple exit and re-opening of the console may resolve your issue; please let us know however if this becomes ‘the norm’ as there may be an underlying issue that requires resolution.
1 A connection attempt can be made from the device by simply entering the Service URL and user credentials. The user will receive an error message stating “Invalid Device” until you add the ID to the devices list.